This year many will make a resolution to workout more, lose weight, eat better or just get healthy for the new year.
To get healthy it is not just about the food, you have to exercise too. After a few months or weeks many whose new year resolution was to work out or exercise more will lose momentum in a few weeks or months. By the end of March it is not on the top of the list anymore. Many of us skip that part altogether when trying to live healthy and eat right. It is hard to keep up an exercise routine. The gym eventually gets boring, we lose motivation after a few rounds of routine workouts. The winter or bad weather makes it hard to keep jogging or walking routines going and over all, life has a way of making exercising regularly difficult. Don’t feel guilty if you lose momentum in your exercise routine, this is normal. It is okay to take a little break from exercise now and then. Just don’t let it be too long. Once you start getting bored or losing motivation, it may be time to change things up. Try a new gym, workout with friends, if you jog mostly then change it up with rock climbing or hiking or even dancing. No matter how long it has been it is not to late to start back with a new routine.
Working out doesn’t have to be a chore, try these ideas…
Join a league or take lessons for one of these sports, it will have you socializing and boost your motivation, it won’t feel like exercise at all!
At home you can try one of these ideas. You don’t have to leave your house or join a gym to do these!
- Dance – Xbox and Wii have great dance games.
- 10-30 min workout sessions – You-tube has plenty of short workout routines you can follow for free or make up your own.
- Yard work – I know how it sounds but yard work can get your heart pumping and burn calories so go pick weeds, mow the lawn, prune the bushes and plant those flowers.
- Play with your kids – They have tons of energy so join in with them when they want to run around, you may not last as long but it will get you moving and make them happy.
Try a new activity or hobby, I personally love these ideas…
- Hiking – It is not just a walk in the woods, it burns calories and the scenery is relaxing, this is one of my favorite ways to exercise. I can pick the intensity of the trail I want to hike, light, moderate and tough terrain trails.
- Biking – I got a brand name bike at a yard sale for $40 and I ride bike and mountain trails with my 9 year old as often as I can. It is a great way to exercise and it is also free.
- Go for a walk around the block – When I don’t want to drive anywhere but need to get moving, I just walk around my neighbor hood. It is not till you get walking that you notice the hills in your neighborhood make your walk turn into a workout. It is simple and low paced but keeps you moving.
- Rollerblading/skating – A skating rink or any trail that you feel comfortable skating on is a great way to get moving and fun.
- Rock climbing – This is a great way to get tone. Adds muscle and gets you moving and thinking.